turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We want to deduct medical on our AZ form which is legit even if you use the fed std deduction. We put them on the fed form but isn't picked up by the AZ form,any ideas?

Hello, we live in AZ and are trying to deduct medical expenses on our AZ state tax form which is legit
even if you use the federal standard deduction.

As turbotax says while filling out FEDERAL medical deductions:
“Arizona allows you to deduct all of your medical expenses. If you have any, let’s enter them now.”
So we entered our medical deductions on the federal  “deductions and credit” section.

When we get to the AZ state  “Medical and Dental Expenses” section it says:
“Enter your total amount of qualified medical and dental expenses”
Unfortunately I am unable to enter anything since there is not a field to enter anything and the following is displayed:
“Medical and Dental expenses         0”

Seems like a turbotax bug to me or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks for your help!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

We want to deduct medical on our AZ form which is legit even if you use the fed std deduction. We put them on the fed form but isn't picked up by the AZ form,any ideas?

In TurboTax Online Premium, I am able to prepare a Federal 1040 tax return claiming the standard deduction but also reporting Medical Expenses under Federal and Deductions & Credits.  In the Arizona state income tax return, see the screen Medical and Dental Expenses.

In the Arizona Form 140  full-year resident income tax return, the Medical Expenses transferred to the Arizona Schedule A.

From the Arizona Form 140 Resident Personal Income Tax Booklet.  Access here.

Lines 1 through 4 - Medical and Dental Expenses 

Skip lines 1 through 4 if you are not deducting medical and dental expenses. 

In most cases, the deduction allowed on the Arizona return will be larger than the deduction allowed on the federal return. On your Arizona return, you do not have to reduce your medical expenses by a percentage of your federal adjusted gross income. 

In most cases, you may deduct more medical expenses on your Arizona return than you can deduct on your federal return. Complete lines 1 through 4 to deduct those expenses that were not allowed on federal return due to limitations.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies