Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

W2: Job-Related Expenses Deduction

Hello Community - I see what "Job-Related Expenses" I can deduct from my W2 work. I work from home full time. This is what I see on TT Premier:

"What is the Job-Related Expenses Deduction?

You could get this deduction if you had to buy things for your W-2 job out of your own pocket. To count as an expense, these things had to be required by your employer or necessary for you to work.

There are some requirements you'll need to meet to get this deduction. We'll help you figure out if they apply to you."

When I enter my expenses - home office, meals, travel, etc. - I see that $0 has been deducted. A bit confused as the web says that W2 workers cannot deduct job expenses, but TT still has its category, as shown in " " above.

Hope for your advice.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

There are no longer job related expense deductions for W-2 employees. 

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) that Congress signed into law on December 22, 2017, the unreimbursed employee expenses deduction has been suspended in tax years 2018 through 2025.There are some exceptions where you can still use Form 2106 through tax year 2025, including if you were an Armed Forces reservist, qualified performing artist, fee-basis state or local government official, or an employee with impairment-related work expenses.

Also, Job-related expenses might be deductible in your state even if they’re not deductible on your federal return. When you enter your expenses TurboTax will figure out if you can deduct them.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies