Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jdoeslash
Returning Member

W-2 write off for Rehabbed investment property?I have rehabbed a rental property out of state, and was wondering if there are any deductions that I can take against my W-2 income, or if all deductions can only be taken

I’m a W-2 employee in a high income tax state. I have rehabbed a rental property out of state, and am renting it out to long-term tenants. I was wondering if there are any deductions that I can take against my W-2 income, or if all deductions can only be taken against the rental property income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

W-2 write off for Rehabbed investment property?I have rehabbed a rental property out of state, and was wondering if there are any deductions that I can take against my W-2 income, or if all deductions can only be taken

In general, rental activities are considered passive so any losses offset other passive income items, but there are exceptions. With active participation (defined in IRS publication below) you maybe able to offset non passive income (W-2). Any unused losses would be carried over to later income years.

All of your rehab expenses that took place before your property was placed in service (ready and available for rent) would be capitalized as improvements and added to your basis for depreciation expenses.

Publication 527 (2023), Residential Rental Property

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies