Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Vehicle Registration Fee on New Vehicle (How to Find Tax Deductible Portion)

I live in California where I can normally deduct the Vehicle License Fee portion of my registration. I purchased a new vehicle last year but the purchase contract only shows the total annual vehicle registration, and it is not broken down to show me the tax-deductible part. How can I find the tax-deductible License Fee from a new purchase contract?

Thanks in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

If you can’t find the Vehicle License Fee (VLF) in your paperwork, you might try contacting the dealership, since they most likely would have forwarded your fees to the state, and should have the amount on record.

Barring that, look in the paperwork for the purchase price of the vehicle.  We know that California’s VLF is 0.65% of the purchase price of your vehicle.  

So, take your price, and multiply it by .0065.  Example:  $40,000 purchase price x .0065 = $260.  Try to find an amount close to that in your paperwork, and it’ll most likely be your VLF.

See Registration Fees - California DMV for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon at the lower left

**Mark the post that best answers your question by clicking on “Mark as Best Answer”

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

If you can’t find the Vehicle License Fee (VLF) in your paperwork, you might try contacting the dealership, since they most likely would have forwarded your fees to the state, and should have the amount on record.

Barring that, look in the paperwork for the purchase price of the vehicle.  We know that California’s VLF is 0.65% of the purchase price of your vehicle.  

So, take your price, and multiply it by .0065.  Example:  $40,000 purchase price x .0065 = $260.  Try to find an amount close to that in your paperwork, and it’ll most likely be your VLF.

See Registration Fees - California DMV for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon at the lower left

**Mark the post that best answers your question by clicking on “Mark as Best Answer”

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies