Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Valuation of donated items

I donated used china to a 501 c 3 charity. This long-discontinued china is sold on Ebay, Replacements.com, and other sites. Can I use the Ebay or Replacements.com prices to represent the fair market value. Those prices are a lot higher than typical suggested FMV's. I gave 12 6-piece place settings and several serving pieces.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

it depends on their condition 

Contributions of clothing and household items.

A deduction for these contributions will be allowed only if the items are in good used condition or better.
However, this rule doesn't apply to a contribution of any single item for which a deduction of more than $500 is
claimed and for which you include a qualified appraisal and Form 8283 with your tax return.

the sites you mention are sellers. their price is probably higher than true market value, you are not selling the items you're donating them.  

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can use ebay or replscements.com - they are a current marketplace.  Keep a copy with the dat with your tax records. 

PLEASE NOTE: You can claim a deduction for a contribution of $250 or more only if you have a contemporaneous written acknowledgment of your contribution from the qualified organization.  See Contributions of $250 or More.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies