Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gll
Level 2

Vacation Rental Expenses appearing twice on Schedule E

I am trying to reconcile my P&L to the total column (a) on Schedule E Expenses.  I am finding that some expenses appear twice.  I am confused about how to input them on the TT  interview.  First they say to put in any vacation rental expenses.  So I start putting them in based on the groupings they provide.  Then they ask me to enter the total of any other vacation home expenses they have not asked me for.  So I put in from my P&L total expenses minus the ones I already put in.  Then they ask me to put in any Miscellaneous expenses, but specify expenses which are applicable Only to the rental use.  So I put in expenses that I had already input, thinking TT would not double count them, but rather, use this input to calculate the business allocations.  

Then when I look at schedule E, I see advertising expense, for example, on the list twice.  As well as some others.  So if someone can help me discern what I should be inputting in the interview and where, I would be very appreciative.  The way TT asks for the information is not clear.  They should also tell you somewhere not to include depreciation expense and mileage in these interview questions.  would be nice if they told you that. When they say input ANY expenses, I take it literally and put them all in, until i got to the later sections and realized depreciation and mileage are handled separately.

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Enter your expenses shown in the screenshot only once in those categories.

Untitled.png

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Enter your expenses shown in the screenshot only once in those categories.

Untitled.png

gll
Level 2

So I will ignore "Any Other Expenses" and "Any Miscellaneous Expenses" Screens except to capture expenses I have not yet entered.  It's funny, I have no issues with the allocations or anything.  My problem was in the inputs and interpreting the interview questions.

Thank you.  

Yes, ignore "Any Other Expenses" and "Any Miscellaneous Expenses" unless you have an expense that does not fit within the Expense categories provided.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies