Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ronrohit
Returning Member

US Dual status alien - Treaty Resident

Hi

I am an Indian citizen who moved to US in Nov 2023 along with spouse/child and permanent home from 1st day in US. My sources of income in Nov-Dec are both in India and US.

I am filling my US 2023 return as dual status alien (Jan-Oct - Non resident, Nov-Dec -Resident). I am using first year of choice rule after meeting substantial presence test in 2024. I wanted to check as per US-India tax treaty do I qualify as US treaty resident or not for Nov and Dec 2023. If not what is the reason for that. For Nov-Dec US income, do I need to pay tax in India after considering FTC or can I take Nov-Dec US income as tax exempt income while filing India tax return 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

US Dual status alien - Treaty Resident

According to the IRS, you may choose to be a  resident under the first-year choice in the following circumstances.

1. Be present in the United States for at least 31 days in a row in the current year, and
  2. Be present in the United States for at least 75% of the number of days beginning with the first day of the 31-day period and ending with the last day of the current year. (For purposes of this 75% requirement, you can treat up to 5 days of absence from the United States as days of presence in the United States.)

You qualify as a US resident if you satisfy these two requirements. For Nov/Dec income, you will need to file a tax return in India, pay the tax, and declare a foreign tax credit for taxes assessed in the Nov/Dec timeframe. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies