Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

grazerf16
Returning Member

Unable to claim "dependent" child

I've seen the rules but they don't make much sense to me (hello, Congress?)

My 23-y/o son lives with us full-time, and he's a pilot for SkyWest Airlines and made more than $4300 last year. (I fly for United).  He graduated (2019) with over $200K in student loan expenses (most notably, flight training expenses) so we're trying to help him get on his feet financially as his student loan payments take a bit over 90% of his monthly pay.  Thus, I/we pay for almost all of his food (except when he eats out or visits with friends), his monthly car insurance, his monthly cell phone service, all utilities (elec, water, gas, a/c, internet + TV) while he "only" pays for his student loans and a furniture storage unit.  Hence we pay for nearly all of his expenses (well over half) and he will likely continue to live with us for a few more years.  So he will be "dependent" on us to make it through the next few years and we'll continue paying for nearly all of his expenses:  we're glad to have him at home and don't mind doing so but thought since we cover nearly 100% of his monthly/annual living expenses, we should be able to list him as and claim him as a dependent.  This only seems reasonable and certainly passes the "Common Sense" test.  

However, while working on my taxes it says he doesn't qualify as my dependent:  that seems patently absurd considering the $$ we pay to cover his monthly/annual living expenses and the conditions under which he lives with us.  

Am I missing something, or is there some vehicle/protocol for "pleading" my case or requesting a waiver to list him as my/our dependent???

Thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Your son was not a full time student for any one semester that started in 2020, and he earned more than $4,300 in 2020. Unfortunately, he just flat out does not qualify as a dependent on anyone's tax return.

@grazerf16 wrote:

I've seen the rules but they don't make much sense to me (hello, Congress?)

My 23-y/o son lives with us full-time, and he's a pilot for SkyWest Airlines and made more than $4300 last year. (I fly for United).  He graduated (2019) with over $200K in student loan expenses (most notably, flight training expenses) so we're trying to help him get on his feet financially as his student loan payments take a bit over 90% of his monthly pay.  Thus, I/we pay for almost all of his food (except when he eats out or visits with friends), his monthly car insurance, his monthly cell phone service, all utilities (elec, water, gas, a/c, internet + TV) while he "only" pays for his student loans and a furniture storage unit.  Hence we pay for nearly all of his expenses (well over half) and he will likely continue to live with us for a few more years.  So he will be "dependent" on us to make it through the next few years and we'll continue paying for nearly all of his expenses:  we're glad to have him at home and don't mind doing so but thought since we cover nearly 100% of his monthly/annual living expenses, we should be able to list him as and claim him as a dependent.  This only seems reasonable and certainly passes the "Common Sense" test.  

However, while working on my taxes it says he doesn't qualify as my dependent:  that seems patently absurd considering the $$ we pay to cover his monthly/annual living expenses and the conditions under which he lives with us.  

Am I missing something, or is there some vehicle/protocol for "pleading" my case or requesting a waiver to list him as my/our dependent???

Thanks!

If he is not a full time student and had a gross income of move then $4,300 he cannot be a dependent.  That is the tax law that has not been changed for more then a decade (except for inflation adjustments).

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies