Solved: Unable to add HELOC 1098

Unable to add HELOC 1098

Hi,

I took a HELOC in Dec 2017 however did not use any of the funds until July of 2019. I received a 1098 from the lending institution with a  outstanding mortgage principal (box 2)of 0.00 and mortgage interest received of 335.56 (box 1).

Turbotax does not like the fact that the original mortgage amount is 0.00. How do I add this ?

Thanks!

Unable to add HELOC 1098

This number is not involved in any calculations unless it exceeds certain limits.  Furthermore, since you've had the loan for a while, TurboTax is ensuring that you have complete information.  I suggest you try entering $1.  This will resolve the zero issue and also not affect your return.

Unable to add HELOC 1098

bump!

Unable to add HELOC 1098

Unable to add HELOC 1098

what did you use the money for that generated the interest?  if it was not to improve your home, it is not deductible in any event and should not be entered on your tax return.