Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Uber and Lift Mileage and Expense Tracking

I drive both Uber and Lyft and keep switching between them.  Many rides require me to drive to the rider and these miles are not tracked by Uber or Lyft reports.  It appears to be a too much manual work after driving for 12 hours  to keep a log of every trip, miles driven and associated expenses. Is there any easy method to keep a track of these miles?  
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JosephS1
Expert Alumni

No, unfortunately.  There are several mileage tracking apps you can download to your phone or laptop but manual tracking for the travel to pick up your rider, and then once dropped off, to pick up the next rider, etc. must be done manually.

If you do a Google search for "mileage app for taxes" it will show you various different apps for you to choose from.  There is also the tried and true method of keeping a pad and written log to record your mileage.  It may not be the most modern method but it works so long as you maintain it.

Best apps to keep track of mileage

@ajartax 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I sent msg to Uber. They replied that their year end tax summary miles include all online miles - miles waiting, driving to take the trip, and miles on the trip.  If that is true, then can I just use the Uber and Lyft year end mile summary to book my mileage expense instead of keeping a manual log?  Moreover Lyft driver app does not even provide every trip information and there is no time during the day to wait and keep this log as the trips are added by the app back to back.

JosephS1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can use the mileage provided by Uber definitely if it contains your waiting and picking-up mileage, provided you are comfortable with what is being reported to you.  From what you said above about Lyft, I might want to consider keeping a log of your Lyft mileage provided you trust your Uber mileage.  As a suggestion, I would try to keep as much of a log as I could to be able to compare what Uber and Lyft are saying in their statements and what you yourself know based on any log you keep.

@ajartax 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies