Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

two odd bugs associated with charitable contributions?

I'm using TurboTax 2023 Deluxe on a mac.

I entered all my charitable items using the its deductible interview -- I went to the same thrift shop donation center 16 times last year as I unloaded stuff from the house I was moving out of.  Each visit was valued between around $200 and $249 (less than $250)  .

Interestingly, all of the following are correct: Schedule A,  charitable contributions summary, so my 1040 is correct.

Odd bug 1? :

However interestingly, there are four form 8283's, each with slots for four visits, but only 4+4+4+1 = 13
appear, and it's not like the first three or last three are missing, it's just three without any rhyme and reason.

Odd bug 2?:
While I used the its deductible interview, a few of the items are coded in the charitiable organization worksheet as VM=0 denoting a customing valuation method, when I expected all to be VM=1.

am i missing something or is this just a bug with turbo tax?  Anyone see this before or can verify?  One thought i had was that it had something to do with the volume of trips to the thrift store, but I don't really see how that's a problem.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

the key bug is the same as  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/noncash-charitable-contribution-details-not-trans...

which seems to be known to intuit, and hopefully will be fixed this tax season

(anyone at intuit can say when?)

AmyC
Expert Alumni

It is undergoing revision now and has an expected date of 2/23 but that is subject to change so I suggest giving them a week to get things straightened out and be sure it is working properly.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Great news, today's update and my bug #1 is fixed.   This is the important one.

It seems bug #2 remains, but it's way less important because the charitable deduction worksheet is not transmitted with my return.

Nonetheless it would be good if someone explains why some of my VM's are showing up 0 when they all should be 1.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies