Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Two EV tax credits?

Purchased a Bolt at the beginning of the year. I like the car so much, I am considering purchasing a second EV. Assuming I have the necessary tax liability, will I be eligible for another tax credit if I purchase another new EV? I have not seen any official language stating it is one per vehicle or one per year or one per person in a household. The updated 8936 form shows two columns, but besides that everything I have read is hearsay.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Two EV tax credits?

the credit is per vehicle, not per tax payer…. So you are good 

but do note the credit is non- refundable, which means it can’t reduce Line 22 of Form 1040 below zero. 

so if your tax return in 2023 works out the same as 2022, look at Line 22 of your 2022 tax return: that line needs to be at least $15,000 for you to capture the entire credit  for 2 EVs

Anonymous
Not applicable

Two EV tax credits?

Thanks for the reply. Can you show me any official documentation that states the credit is per vehicle? This is what I can't find. I do not want to purchase another vehicle and miss out due to some fine print somewhere.

I do understand about the non-refundable part. Fortunately/unfortunately, my liability will be well over that amount.

Two EV tax credits?

@Anonymous -  There is simply NOTHING on the IRS website that limits the credit to one vehicle; therefore, it is not limited.  if the IRS was going to limit it, it would have stated so in the FAQs.  

for new cars, the credit is tied to the vehicle.  for used cars, it is tied to the taxpayer (and there is a limit of one credit every three years)

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/credits-for-new-clean-vehicles-purchased-in-2023-or-after

the credit is tied to the vehicle by the way the FAQ is worded: 

The amount of the credit depends on when you placed the vehicle in service (took delivery), regardless of purchase date

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies