Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Two EV credits, "VIN matches the VIN of another vehicle"

We have a simple problem with Turbotax.  We bought two EVs last year, and should qualify for two credits.  When running SmartCheck, Turbotax insists that we have an error:

"Form 8936 (Copy 1): Vehicle Identification No matches the VIN of another vehicle.  Each vehicle entered on Form 8936 must have a unique VIN."

Turbotax then shows the worksheet with the supposed error.  However, the VINs entered for the two cars we purchased are obviously different.

If I simply switch to Forms, and navigate to Form 8936 Wks (Vehicle 1) or (Vehicle 2), I can see that the VINs it's using as the source for each of the two cars are correct, and quite different.  Turbotax is mistakenly insisting that I've duplicated the VIN between the two cars somehow, even though everything I can see suggests they are distinct and correct.

I tried removing both cars, and entering each individually.  In those cases, SmartCheck passes.  I also tried removing both, saving/exiting/restarting/reloading/re-entering both, but the problem again returned.  There are exactly two Form 8936 worksheets - one for each vehicle.

As another experiment, I tried removing both, and re-entering them in the opposite order.  In this case, Turbotax continues to claim the second vehicle I entered has the duplicated VIN.  In this case, it was the other car.  So, it seems that whichever car I enter second, Turbotax thinks has a duplicate VIN.

I can't figure out how to work around this or what I might be doing wrong.  Any recommendations?  Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

This is a known issue and TurboTax is working on a solution.  Please see Why is claiming more than one vehicle for the Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit ...to sign up for updates.  @mattsaccount530  @adamu 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
adamu

I'm having exactly the same issue

I just spoke with an agent and this is a known issue. I showed them the problem and sent over a diagnostic file. Hopefully it'll be solved soon.

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

This is a known issue and TurboTax is working on a solution.  Please see Why is claiming more than one vehicle for the Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit ...to sign up for updates.  @mattsaccount530  @adamu 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Great, thank you for the update!

I have the exact same problem.  I use the turbotax premier Desktop version and I tried all the combinations you said and it is giving the error. 

But to override it, you can instead of clicking Run Smart Check, just click on Done and continue through next step and it allows you to e-file the tax.  I have not e-filed yet, because I didn't want it to be rejected for TurbaTax bug.  I raised a ticket as well with TurboTax and waiting for the fix.  Hope they do it so, so we all get our money back. 

Yeah I'd considered that approach as well but similarly figured I'd wait to e-file until it's happy.  I assume nothing else is wrong or being "hidden" by the error but  don't know with certainty.  Just hoping they fix it promptly.  I assume this is a trivial problem and solution.

Just got update from TurboTax that this bug has been fixed and we can update the software for desktop version and online version should have the update already.

Great job TurboTax

taxuser13

I had the same issue today and tried everything but after finding this discussion ran the software update and the problem resolved itself.  Thank you all for sharing the issue.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies