Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax shows me a error on my return but won't let me type in the box to correct. " home mortgage interest limitation worksheet" the box is highlighted can't type into?

In the step by step it never asked me for amount borrowed in 2020. error check the return it says that box can't be blank but I can't type into it.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

20 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Turbotax shows me a error on my return but won't let me type in the box to correct. " home mortgage interest limitation worksheet" the box is highlighted can't type into?

Some TurboTax customers were experiencing an issue with their Home Mortgage Average Balance. This can cause the Home Mortgage Interest to be incorrectly limited.

If you've refinanced or had your mortgage lender changed, the outstanding mortgage principal listed in the combined total of them on Line 2 of the 1098 will be too large.

When you put an outstanding balance in both forms, then the program adds them together and if that number is greater than $750k, then it puts you in the category to "limit interest".

To get that to go away, you need to go back to the deductions section and click on "edit" mortgage interest statement. Enter both 1098's.

Change the line 2 of the mortgage that you no longer owe on (like the one that you refinanced and paid off) to a 0 (zero) because you have refinanced out of that loan and no longer have an "outstanding mortgage principal".

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks, but there is nothing on line 2 of the 1098 and I only have one 1098. I should have said this is a home equity line of credit, used for home repairs. There is no original mortgage, just this heloc. The 1098 shows the interest I paid on the loan in 2020 but that's all it shows. It does not show outstanding mortgage principle. 

I did try to go back into deductions and edit the mortgage interest there, but in there it does not let me input anything to fix that one line that Turbotax tells me is missing. (Home mortgage interest limitation worksheet, line F4, amount borrowed in 2020) 

The only thing turbotax filled in on that form was checkboxes on lines A B and E, and under F lines 1 and 9.

I also went to forms, found that form, the F4 line is highlighted in pink but I cannot type into that box.

If I go to that form from the Turbotax error checking, it shows the box highlighted in blue but I can't type there either.

If I try to ignore it altogether, when I go to print the return it tells me I need to correct that error. 

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

There is a known problem with Home Mortgage Deduction.  TurboTax is working to fix the problem and the many other issues. There are many changes due to the CARES Act that require software upgrades.  We have not been given an  expected date for the fix yet.  Please check back often to see if you can file your return.

The interest for a home equity loan or HELOC (home equity line of credit) is an allowable deduction if you itemize. You'll need to meet some conditions:

• The loan or line of credit is secured (put up as collateral to protect the lender) by your main home or a second home.
  • The home securing the loan must have sleeping, cooking, and toilet facilities.
  • The loan or line of credit must be used to buy, build or substantially improve your home. This requirement began with tax year 2018 and extends through 2025.
  • You can only deduct the portion of the loan or line of credit you used to buy, build, or substantially improve the home that is used to secure the loan or line of credit. This requirement began with tax year 2018 and extends through 2025. If you’ve ever used part of this loan to pay for things other than this home, you cannot deduct the interest from that amount of the loan, even if the transaction didn’t take place this year.
  • To get the full deduction, your mortgage debt doesn’t exceed $1,000,000 if you got your loan between October 13, 1987 and December 15, 2017 or $750,000 if you got your loan after December 15, 2017.
  • You or someone on your tax return must have signed or co-signed the loan.
  • If you rented out the home, you must have used the home more than 14 days during the tax year or 10% of the number of days you rented it out, whichever is greater.

In most cases, you can deduct your interest. How much you can deduct depends on the date of the loan, the amount of the loan, and how you use the loan proceeds.

The IRS has more information on how much you can deduct and other relevant details.

Can I Deduct my HELOC

I have this same problem. I'm unable to complete my tax return because of it. What is the ETA on getting this fixed?

I also have this issue. I'm probably going to file as is leaving it blank, I'm ready to get my refund.

I ran into this also, but I was able to get through it by right-clicking on the field in Forms view, and select 'override'. Then I was able to enter a value, and continue to e-file. Hope this helps!

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

If you have multiple 1098s I suggest you enter each one separately.

If a Mortgage is paid off, or re-financed you should:

• Enter $1 in Box 2 Outstanding Mortgage principal for the Refinanced / Paid off mortgage
  • Every 1098 should be posted.
  • The final 1098 for that property will have the full loan amount as reflected in Box 2.
  • If you have multiple properties, you should follow this procedure for each property.

This will properly record every 1098, and avoid any issue with mortgage limitations.

When you have more than one Form 1098 with the refinance info and both show the same balance of the mortgage, TurboTax adds the amounts together. And that may lead to a limitation of the deduction, because the balance is then overstated. To avoid this, make sure that you're not reporting the same mortgage balance twice.

If your combined home debt is under $750,000 ($750,000 for married filing jointly and $375,000 for married filing separately), there's nothing new for you to do in 2020. Enter each 1098 as you normally would.

yes, i went ahead and left it blank and filed. For my situation which was just one 1099 showing intrest paid on a home equity line of credit, and the loan not closed out in 2020, I doubt it will raise any flags.

I have nearly the same problem with this worksheet.  TurboTax keeps returning an error about my not having filled line 4 "Borrowed in 2020," but won't let me fill it in!!

After I select "Override," it STILL won't let me enter anything.

I stand corrected.  I now understand that this had to be done in the "Forms" view, not the "Step-by-Step" view.  Thanks very much for the tip.

Thanks Skylinecomp, your suggestion to right-click on the field in Forms view was the solution for me!

quabri03

It appears your override solution does not work on the Mac version. I cannot get a menu with the override option when I right click or control click.

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

This may be a work around if you have multiple 1098s.  I suggest you enter each one separately.

If a Mortgage is paid off, or re-financed you should:

• Enter $1 in Box 2 Outstanding Mortgage principal for the Refinanced / Paid off mortgage
  • Every 1098 should be posted.
  • The final 1098 for that property will have the full loan amount as reflected in Box 2.
  • If you have multiple properties, you should follow this procedure for each property.

This will properly record every 1098, and avoid any issue with mortgage limitations.

When you have more than one Form 1098 with the refinance info and both show the same balance of the mortgage, TurboTax adds the amounts together. And that may lead to a limitation of the deduction, because the balance is then overstated. To avoid this, make sure that you're not reporting the same mortgage balance twice.

If your combined home debt is under $750,000 ($750,000 for married filing jointly and $375,000 for married filing separately), there's nothing new for you to do in 2020. Enter each 1098 as you normally would.

@quabri03

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies