Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax Premier 2021 is only giving $300 charitable credit when it should be $600. Any body else having this problem?

I am fiing a joint federal return for 2021 and am taking the standard deduction.  I have $10970 in charitable contributions (listing each) but TurboTax Premier is only giving me a $300 charitable credit instead of the $600 is should be giving me
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

TurboTax Premier 2021 is only giving $300 charitable credit when it should be $600. Any body else having this problem?

We recommend that you complete your return, and continue to the page which says "Wrap Up Tax Breaks" or the "Final Review" page.  Assuming you are taking the standard deduction, and it appears that you are, when you are at the aforementioned sections, the application should update to reflect the full amount of your charitable contribution (which must be in cash) of $600.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have the same problem as mentioned above. I am not seeing the options you mentioned to "Wrap Up Tax Breaks" or in Final Review - The 1040 is showing $300 and TurboTax accepts that - We are married filing jointly. When I try to correct the form and enter $600 - it pops-up in review as an error.

Your assistance would be appreciated

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

@zoso1

You must pass the screen Based on what you just told us, the Standard Deduction is best for you so that TurboTax knows you qualify for the standard deduction.

Federal 1040 line 12b Charitable Cash Contributions under CARES Act can be entered at either:

• Deductions & Credits / Donations to Charity or
  • at the screen Charitable Cash Contributions under CARES Act immediately following Based on what you just told us, the Standard Deduction is best for you.

Make sure you pass all the way through both Deductions & Credits and Other Tax Situations.

At Deductions & Credits, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Wrap up tax breaks.

At Other Tax Situations, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Let’s keep going.

Remove the entry at Donations to Charity in 2021 by deleting the entry.

Remove the entry at the screen Charitable Cash Contributions under CARES Act by entering a $0.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Nothing like a stupid workaround to handle a very stupid TT blunder for something that the IRS published many months ago.  Quite pitiful.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies