Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax incorrectly allocating depreciation in a 50 / 50 rental property partnership ???

Using TurboTax Premium.  Rental house, sched E.  Entered my ownership share as 50% and then full amounts for all values (income, expenses, etc.).  Looking at the TTax Schedule E worksheet it properly applies the 50% to all values except mileage (as expected as this differs for each partner) and depreciation, which is carried over fully (50% not applied).  In reading the IRS rules it seems the depreciation should be split by partner according to ownership percentage (in this case, 50 / 50).  

Do I understand this correctly?  If so, I guess the only resolution is to manually alter the value in the TTax depreciation worksheet.  However, if I do that and then import it next year I wonder what the effect on 2024 depreciation will be?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

TurboTax incorrectly allocating depreciation in a 50 / 50 rental property partnership ???

You will need to alter the actual value of the property that was entered.  The system doesn't divide the depreciation - you need to enter 50% of the value of the property so that it will depreciate only your share.

@rf78801 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies

UPDATE:  it won't let me change the depreciation value on the worksheet or any other form where it appears.  It appears I must file with a known error.  Does anyone know how to  report a TTax bug?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

You will need to alter the actual value of the property that was entered.  The system doesn't divide the depreciation - you need to enter 50% of the value of the property so that it will depreciate only your share.

@rf78801 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That worked!  Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies