Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax Discrepancies Due To Rounding

Due to Turbotax rounding the total income and every deduction section, my Waveapps books do not match the Reconciliations (Income, Retained Earning, Balance Sheet) and is off by a little less than 3 dollars.

My concern is the discrepancy compounds every year and in a few years maybe my retained earnings starting balance is off by 10 dollars (this is my first year and I'm not sure if TT carries this over for next year for me). While this rounding is expected and IRS permits it, what is the best course of action?

1. Decrease expense deductions by 3 dollars in one category so books match Turbotax (even if not accurate)

2. Just submit it as is with Turbotax's calculated profit/loss off < 3 dollars from books

Hypothetical numbers:

Waveapps books profit/loss: $100,236.78

Waveapps Retaining Earning: $30,251.54

Turbotax profit/loss: $100,234

Turbotax Retained Earning: $30,254

Also another question is what deduction category to put mortgage interest paid by accountable plan? If I add it to "Interest expense", it requires another form attachment.  Is it ok to put it in "all other expenses" and add a category?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

You might only want to round the sum rather than each individual entry.

I'll also page @Rick19744 for input.

I have not rounded any value myself.  For example for common business expenses, if you put $5,000.75 from your books Turbotax rounds to $5001.  For Taxes and Licenses, if you put $250.49 Turbotax rounds to $250.  Then it adds each deduction category and the discrepancy grows further.

To address your questions:

• The discrepancies seem odd, as TT income is less, yet RE is greater than your Waveapps books
  • You don't mention whether you are importing the data.
  • What entity type are we dealing with?
  • As long as what you are reporting is correct, I wouldn't worry about the rounding issue.
  • I would just add the "accountable plan mortgage interest" in the other deductions section and title it as such
*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies