Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

harvey4589
Returning Member

TurboTax 2023 Premier does not generate an Explanation statement for Form 1116 line 3b

In previous years, Turbotax has generated an explanation statement for Form 1116 line 3b. This year, the Form 1116 Explanation Statement is pre-populated with Form/Line 3, A. I cannot change this to 3, B. The IRS instructions are to attach a statement explaining the amount in line 3, B. I called Turbo Tax support and the person I spoke with was completely unhelpful and would not transfer me to a supervisor. The only thing I can think of to do is for the pre-populated Explanation Statement for line 3, A, write in an explanation for both lines 3, A and 3, B. Do you think this will be acceptable to the IRS? Or any other ideas?

Thank you.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

TurboTax 2023 Premier does not generate an Explanation statement for Form 1116 line 3b

That should be fine; you'll be fulfilling the requirements.

The instructions for Line 3b in the Instructions for Form 1116 are somewhat vague, anyway. They state:

Enter on line 3b any other deductions that don't definitely relate to any specific type of income (for example, deductions shown on Schedule 1 (Form 1040), Part II, Adjustments to Income).

Attach a statement listing the separate expenses included on lines 3a and 3b.

[Bolding mine.]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies