Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax 2023 doesn't qualify me to Earned Income Credit for single no child income less $17,640

My aunt is filing single with no child for 2023. Her overall income is less than $17,640. Turbotax 2023 says she is not qualifying for Earned Income Credit.

But according to the qualification of Earned Income Credit on IRS website, she is qualified.

What is max income set in Turbotax 2023 for Earned Income Credit for single no child?    

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SharonD007
Expert Alumni

Turbotax 2023 doesn't qualify me to Earned Income Credit for single no child income less $17,640

In addition to having earned income, you must meet other criteria to qualify for the EIC:

• Be a U.S. citizen or resident alien for the entire year
  • Have a valid Social Security number for yourself, your spouse (if Married Filing Jointly), and any children that qualify you on your tax return
  • Not file Form 2555 or 2555-EZ (Foreign Earned Income)
  • Meet certain rules if you are married but are separated from your spouse and filing separate tax returns
  • Have investment income below $11,000
  • Your income must be less than $63,398 (depending on your filing status and number of qualifying children)
  • If you don’t have dependents, be over 25 and under 65
  • Not qualify as a dependent for another taxpayer.

For a single person with no qualifying children, the maximum income is $17,640.

For more information, review the TurboTax articles What is the Earned Income Credit? Find Out If You Qualify and Why don't I qualify for EIC?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
SharonD007
Expert Alumni

In addition to having earned income, you must meet other criteria to qualify for the EIC:

• Be a U.S. citizen or resident alien for the entire year
  • Have a valid Social Security number for yourself, your spouse (if Married Filing Jointly), and any children that qualify you on your tax return
  • Not file Form 2555 or 2555-EZ (Foreign Earned Income)
  • Meet certain rules if you are married but are separated from your spouse and filing separate tax returns
  • Have investment income below $11,000
  • Your income must be less than $63,398 (depending on your filing status and number of qualifying children)
  • If you don’t have dependents, be over 25 and under 65
  • Not qualify as a dependent for another taxpayer.

For a single person with no qualifying children, the maximum income is $17,640.

For more information, review the TurboTax articles What is the Earned Income Credit? Find Out If You Qualify and Why don't I qualify for EIC?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Appreciate your @SharonD007 excellent and professional answer!

My aunt's age is over 65 -- that is the reason not qualified!

- If you don’t have dependents, be over 25 and under 65

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies