turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax Medical vs Actual Medical

Did you have more than $xxxxx in Medical Expenses, I entered No.

Then Entered form 1095-A amounts - didn't get prompted to enter any other medical expenses , ie dental or doctor fees

When TurboTax completed this , now I can't Update or add other details. 

I added the add'l amount on the form view for the Dr. fees and now the total amount showing on Turbo Tax for medical is higher than the Did you have more than? $xxxx in medical expenses ???

So how is this possible, and there is now way to go back.

Had I entered Yes , and entered these figures differently, it would be over that amount.

Does it take the amount from the 1095-A Premiums paid as part of this total, Did you have more than $XXX in medical expenses? 

Do I have to start this return all over again and enter Yes to open up this section to re enter Medical expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Turbo Tax Medical vs Actual Medical

TurboTax does take the premiums on your form 1095-A into account, less the final figure for the premium tax credit. 

Since you've entered the information into the form directly, you don't need to start over to enter the data so that it's being considered in the calculations.

If you've entered medical expenses more than the amount that TurboTax asked about and aren't seeing any change in your refund or tax due as a result, it's likely because one of the following is true:

• You have enough medical expenses to qualify for a deduction, but when combined with your other itemized deductions your Standard Deduction is still higher (check Form 1040, Line 12)
  • Additional information entered changed your AGI so that the amount of medical expenses required changed 
  • Your tax has already been reduced to 0 and no additional benefit is gained from the deduction (check Form 1040, Line 24)
  • You're subject to Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) (look for the presence of Form 6251)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies