Firefrog49

Turbo tax is recommending the standard deduction. since I didn't itemize, shouldnt I be able to file free?

macuser_22

The new "simplified" 1040 form for 2018 is now the only 1040 form. The old 1040, 1040A and 1040EZ have all been replaced with the new 1040 and 6 new schedules for additional items that are transfer to the new 1040.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4511015-what-are-the-new-schedules

The TurboTax Free Edition only supports the basis new 1040 form and not any additional schedules. If schedules are needed then Deluxe or higher will be required depending on which schedule and types of income you have.

Itemizing is only one of many reasons that Free does not support.

macuser_22