Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax instructs me to mail amended return after it was e-filed

I amended my return that was e-filed in early March.  I amended today and made the change, resulting in a small refund to me.  Turbo Tax offered me the option to e-file the amended return so I did.  Then it tells me

"Print and Mail These Forms to the Government. 

Even though you e-filed, you're still required to print and mail these forms.  

Don't skip this important step!  Your return isn't complete without it. Explain This"

The "Explain This" link takes me to the main TT website.  Nothing there helps, and I can't find anything on the IRS website that says that I must mail after e-filing an amended return.  I see plenty of stuff saying don't mail a return if it's been e-filed.  So what to do?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You shouldn't mail the amended tax return since it was e-filed, but it appears there were forms or schedules that were not included with the e-filed return that need to be mailed. So, see what forms or schedules need to be mailed and send those in.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for this, as I went back and clicked on "print forms" and saw it was not printing all forms and schedules but instead just the voucher for what we owe based on the amended return.  Because that amount, plus a bit over (hence the amended return) was already paid electronically I'm going to not mail anything and see if the refund comes back to me in a few months, because IRS is saying 16-20 weeks to process amended returns.  

Thanks again. 

rgunz1

I experienced the same issue with my amended return.  Turbotax tells me to print the federal form and mail it, then proceeds to efile.  Seems like a software glitch.  I got the "accepted" email from turbotax that my amended return was accepted, so I am going to wait until I mail anything. 

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

If you have e-filed your amended return and it has been accepted there is no need to mail in a copy of your amended return.

Please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community with additional information or questions or click here for help in contacting Turbo Tax Support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies