Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

atomics

TT made a foreign tax adjustments carryback to the previous year without asking me the question. Anybody knows what's going on?

I lived aboard. Every year my foreign tax paid exceeded the amount utilized so I always carry over the remaining amount as a foreign tax credit. It's been that way since 2017. However, when I prepare 2023 returns, I found form 1116 schedule B foreign tax credit history for 2022 looked very weird. Instead of a credit, TT put a negative amount under "1st preceding tax year". So I went back to my 2022 return and found in form 1116 (Copy 1) foreign tax credit worksheet TT put the entire amount of my foreign tax paid as adjustments and carryback it to 2021. I don't understand why TT did it. It seemed to be related to line 12a line 1 and line 2. I have no deductions. I searched and didn't find any discussion about this issue. I wanted to make a correction to 2022 return, but TT wouldn't handle it correctly. I also saw other people had various issues with form 1116. If anyone is familiar with this subject, I much appreciate your help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies