Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bamafan4

Tree damage

I have 150 acres of forest land that sustained extensive tree damage and loss due to Hurricane Idalia.  The trees were natural growth and came with the property when I bought it.  The property is in a federally declared disaster area. I am not in the timber business. The downed trees are preventing me from maintaining the property and interfering with my use of the property. How can I place a value on the downed/damaged trees? The overall value of the property was not affected significantly as only a small fraction of the trees suffered damage, but those that were lost do have a value. Would the cost of cleanup to restore the property to its before the storm condition be the basis for casualty loss claim? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Tree damage

1. Your value of the trees can be any reasonable method.

2. The cost to restore the property value is a reasonable method. So, yes, that would be a good basis for your claim.

See Topic No. 515 Casualty, Disaster, and Theft Losses - Internal Revenue Service for full details. Which includes

If your property is personal-use property or isn't completely destroyed, the amount of your casualty loss is the lesser of:

• The adjusted basis of your property, or
  • The decrease in fair market value of your property as a result of the casualty
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies