Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Traditional IRA Deduction

I'm doing our 2023 tax return, filing jointly.  I have a question about my husband's eligibility for a deductible traditional IRA. Turbotax is indicating that he can contribute the max $7500 to a traditional IRA and it would be fully deductible. However, he doesn't have any earned income so I don't understand how that's possible. He's retired and receives social security and a small pension only. (I do have earned income from wages & K-1 income but I plan to contribute the max $7500 to a Roth IRA for 2023.) I am not recovered by a retirement plan at work. I've always assumed that even if you're filing a joint return, the spouse contributing to the deductible IRA had to have earned income. So is Turbotax making a mistake by allowing the deduction for my husband or is my assumption wrong and he actually can do a deductible traditional IRA because I have earned income???

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Yes, your spouse is eligible to make a deductible IRA spousal contribution, even if they have no earned income.

You're correct, it's because you have earned income, and no retirement plan at work. 

Here's more info on Spousal IRA's. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies