Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Towels and Linens as an asset or expense in a short term rental

I see responses that say you "can" take towels and linens and an expense, but can you list them as an asset and have them depreciate over 5 years?  Maybe I'm overly optimistic about them lasting over a year, but I am hopeful.

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

These items (towels and linens) should be used as an expense on your short term rental such as supplies or other expenses.  They are not assets. Keep good records of your expenses for your activity.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

These items (towels and linens) should be used as an expense on your short term rental such as supplies or other expenses.  They are not assets. Keep good records of your expenses for your activity.

Thank you for your very specific reply.  We placed our short term rental into use at the end of November, so do not have much rental income for 2023.  However, we bought all of our supplies in 2023.  Can we report them as expenses in 2024 when we have more income?  I'm afraid having a large loss will trigger an audit.   Thank you, Valerie

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Having a large loss the first year renting your property isn't likely to trigger an audit.  This is a common experience. 

However, audits can be random, too.  Simply keep the proof of those expenses and you'll not have any issues.  Some of your loss from this year may carryover to next year to offset income depending on the other factors on your tax return but you should always record the expense in the year actually paid when you are a "cash basis" taxpayer (which you almost certainly are.) 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies