Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

clakien2

I have margin interest to deduct , where do i go

on my 1099 i have a amount wash sale lose disallowed, what does it mean
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
murran

To actually claim the deduction for investment interest expenses, you must itemize your deductions. Investment interest goes on Schedule A, under "Interest You Paid." You may also have to file Form 4952, which provides details about your deduction. You don't have to file this form if you meet three conditions: interest is the only investment expense you're deducting; you're not carrying forward any disallowed interest from the previous year, and your investment interest doesn't exceed your investment income from interest and ordinary dividends.

Remember, when you use TurboTax to prepare your taxes, we’ll ask you easy-to-answer questions about your investments, determine which deductions you qualify for, and fill in all the right tax forms for you.

Got investments?

From stocks and bonds to rental income, TurboTax Premier helps you get your taxes done right

For only $79.99$54.99*
Start for Free

Here is TT answer:

To actually claim the deduction for investment interest expenses, you must itemize your deductions. Investment interest goes on Schedule A, under "Interest You Paid." You may also have to file Form 4952, which provides details about your deduction. You don't have to file this form if you meet three conditions: interest is the only investment expense you're deducting; you're not carrying forward any disallowed interest from the previous year, and your investment interest doesn't exceed your investment income from interest and ordinary dividends.

Remember, when you use TurboTax to prepare your taxes, we’ll ask you easy-to-answer questions about your investments, determine which deductions you qualify for, and fill in all the right tax forms for you

I have a lot of margin interest.

"Remember, when you use TurboTax to prepare your taxes, we’ll ask you easy-to-answer questions about your investments, determine which deductions you qualify for, and fill in all the right tax forms for you."

If that was true, then why was I never asked? Now I need do a stupid amended return and pay you again. Nice racket. 

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@kostinkopower To claim Investment Interest Expense, you have to file with Itemized Deductions on Schedule A.

Click this link for more info on Deducting Investment Interest Expense, which includes margin interest.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies