Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

The EV Charging Station tax credit was extended at the end of 2019 for chargers installed from 2018-2020. Where is the new form 8911? It is on the IRS site, but not here.

My tentative minimum tax is $4462 less than my actual tax.  I can get the $7500 credit for my plug in car, but keep getting $0 credit for the $1649 expense for my charging station.  I am not paying AMT, and my taxes far exceed the credit I would get.  Why can I not see this Federal Credit?  Would this credit flow through to my Maryland return?  

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

The EV Charging Station tax credit was extended at the end of 2019 for chargers installed from 2018-2020. Where is the new form 8911? It is on the IRS site, but not here.

If you have more credits, they may be offsetting your tax before your Form 8911 credit is applied, in which case the credit won’t be used.

No, the credit won’t flow through to your state return.

The IRS has a specific order in which credits are to be applied to offset tax.

As far as the credits you’re inquiring about, they’re applied to tax in this order before getting to the credit on Form 8911:

1. Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116)

2. Nonrefundable child tax credit or credit for other dependents from Schedule 8812

3. Credit for child and dependent care expenses from Form 2441

4. Education credits from Form 8863, line 19

5. Retirement savings contributions credit. Attach Form 8880 

6. Residential energy credits. Attach Form 5695 and, 

7. Total other nonrefundable credits, reduced by any general business credit reported on Schedule 3, line 6a, any credit for prior year minimum tax reported on Schedule 3, line 6b, or any credit to holders of tax credit bonds reported on Schedule 3, line 6k). 

If your taxes are completely offset at this point, you have no tax for this credit to offset.  See Instructions for Form 8911 (Rev. January 2022) for more information.

In TurboTax Online, you can view your return by: 

1. Click Pick up where you left off if it’s on your screen.

2. Click on Tax Tools in the left pane.  

3. Click on Tools

4. Click on View Tax Summary. 

5. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

@adeleseifried

But my taxes are not offset.  I still owe tens of thousands of dollars, and am even $4462 above the suggested tentative minimum tax.  I might not be if I didn't have the tax credit for my car, but the tens of thousands and the $4462 are after everything else has been applied.  Actually, I qualify for almost no additional credits.  

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Since we can't see your return in this forum, have you check the calculations on your Form 8911?

You have already determined that AMT is not the culprit in your case. 

If you're using TurboTax Online, close TurboTax, clear your Cache and Cookies, and go through the interview for Electric Vehicle Charging Station again.  You may want to Delete Form 8911 first.

@adeleseifried

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I deleted form 8911, cleared my cache and cookies, and went back in and reentered by charging station description and cost, and it still gives me $0 credit.  Any more ideas?

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

What is your taxable income and what credits are you currently receiving? There are limitations of the credit. A nonrefundable credit essentially means that the credit can’t be used to increase your tax refund or to create a tax refund when you wouldn’t have already had one. In other words, your savings cannot exceed the amount of tax you owe. 

1. Scenario #1: I was able to create a scenario where my EV credit was $0. It was zero because TurboTax used the Earned Income Credit (EIC) refundable instead. The EIC brought my tax down to zero so there was no need to use any of the EV credit,
  2. Scenario #2: I was able to create a scenario where my EV credit was $1,000. I increased the income so I would not have any EIC and so my tax was reduced by $1,000.
  3. Scenario #3: I was able to recreate a scenario where I entered income of $400,000 and I still got the $1,000 credit to reduce my tax. 

ssauerbry

Very disappointed that for 8911 is not ready to go and it will be more than 1 month until it is ready.  This is not a new form.   

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

For Individual tax forms availability, please visit the help article below.

When will my individual tax forms be available in TurboTax?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies