Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The Dr orders my Husband on a specialized diet because of his MS and he is pre-diabetic. Is the cost of food medically ordered, a deduction under medical expenses?

Specialized diet low salt low sugar high protein.  Referred to a place that can deliver pre-packed food at cost.  Is any of this cost deductible under medical?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

The Dr orders my Husband on a specialized diet because of his MS and he is pre-diabetic. Is the cost of food medically ordered, a deduction under medical expenses?

Yes, this is deductible as Medical expenses to the extent that its costs exceeds the cost of a product that satisfies normal nutritional needs.

See this IRS document.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Only the extra cost compared to a "normal" diet, if you can determine what that extra cost is.  In case of audit, the IRS will want to see records of how you estimated or calculated the deductible portion of the cost. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies