Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Question about income earned as instructor on Udemy

Hello, 

I have started instructing courses on Udemy and per recent changes Udemy is not issuing 1099-MISC, does anyone know where this should be reported under Turbo Tax Premium version. 

The total income earned is less than $5000 for the year 2017. 

Thanks in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
FaithY
Expert Alumni

Please follow the instructions below on how to enter your instructor income when you don't have a 1099.

1. Log on to TurboTax and pick up where you left off

2. Click on Federal (on left of the screen)

3. Click on Wages & Income (near the top center of the screen)

4. Scroll down and under All Income click Show more next to Self-Employment

5. Click Start or Revisit next to Income and Expenses

6. Click Yes, you have self-employment income or expenses

7. Add your business (instructor on Udemy) and continue answering questions.

8. When you get to the Let's get income for "your business name" select Additional income and other income and click Continue. It's the second option

9. You will be able to type in descriptions and amounts for the income you earned instructing. If you want to make multiple entries click the add another row button.

[Edited 02.24.18 | 6:15 PM]

Thank you so much for responding but I do not see the options on the TurboTax Premier (desktop version). I do see the option for Business Income but not the options for Education and the screens that you have added to the original question.
FaithY
Expert Alumni

Go to Wages & Income and click I'll choose what I work on. Scroll down to Business Items and click Start next to Business Income and Expenses (Sch C.) Add your business, if you haven't already, or edit your business. Continue through TurboTax, until you see a question that asks if you have any 1099-MISC income and say no to that question. On the next screen you will be prompted to enter income or sales that are not on a 1099-MISC. I have updated my answer to include screenshots for TurboTax Premier Desktop Version.

Thanks for the response. 1099-MISC is under other income section at least on the version I am seeing and not under Business Income. When I go through the workflow, I do not see the option that you see to be able to hit no and still continue. Is there a way that we could just go to forms view and add this instead of using the workflow which doesn't seem to be in sync with the premier version that I have.

Hi, I was able to contact turbo tax and was able to validate that this needs to be entered into the business income. Thanks
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies