Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NS1
Level 3

If we start reporting materials as Cost of Goods Sold, instead of as Supplies expenses, does that count as a change in accounting that should be reported on Form 3115?

Instruction for Form 3115 say it is "to request a change in either an overall method of accounting or the accounting treatment of any item." Does changing where we report materials from Supplies to GOGS count as accounting treatment? We do not track inventory, so in either case, we'd be reporting the same number.

I hope someone can answer this and would be grateful if I get a response to my other question from yesterday here: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4707567-can-we-start-reporting-materials-as-cost-of-goods-sold-if-...

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

If we start reporting materials as Cost of Goods Sold, instead of as Supplies expenses, does that count as a change in accounting that should be reported on Form 3115?

I would not file Form 3115 for that change.  It's a change in classification, not a change in accounting.  A switch from LIFO inventory to FIFO inventory, or a change from cash basis to accrual basis would be the type of "changes" that need to be reported on Form 3115.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

I would not file Form 3115 for that change.  It's a change in classification, not a change in accounting.  A switch from LIFO inventory to FIFO inventory, or a change from cash basis to accrual basis would be the type of "changes" that need to be reported on Form 3115.

NS1
Level 3

Thank you!
DDollar
Expert Alumni

You're welcome.  Thanks for using TurboTax!!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies