turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jkhinch25

Can I deduct misc expenses associate with a dependent's juvenile incarceration including mileage to and from a juvenile facility and group home?

my guess is no. I was initially tempted to deduct as a medical expense due to the expense being related to her mental health; however, my initial assumption is that this is not an option because she has been assigned through the juvenile justice system. Thank you. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Can I deduct misc expenses associate with a dependent's juvenile incarceration including mileage to and from a juvenile facility and group home?

Your assumption is correct unfortunately.  These expenses are personal in nature and the are not an allowable tax deduction.  

If any part of the treatment was paid by you for medical reasons, that portion might be deductible if you can itemize deductions.  The combined medical expense on the return can be used as part of itemized deductions to the extent they exceed 10% (7.5% if age 65 or older) of your adjusted gross income (AGI). 

As you can see the tax law has never been very fair when it comes to the overall medical expense category.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Your assumption is correct unfortunately.  These expenses are personal in nature and the are not an allowable tax deduction.  

If any part of the treatment was paid by you for medical reasons, that portion might be deductible if you can itemize deductions.  The combined medical expense on the return can be used as part of itemized deductions to the extent they exceed 10% (7.5% if age 65 or older) of your adjusted gross income (AGI). 

As you can see the tax law has never been very fair when it comes to the overall medical expense category.

jkhinch25

thank you
DianeW
Expert Alumni

You're welcome.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies