Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I write off copier expenses for a copier purchased in 2014?

Copier/Scanner was purchased in 2014 for $139.  I began my own business in 2016.  I estimate having used the copier about 10% of the time for business.   TurboTax said to use this as an expense.  Do I take 10% of $139 and consider depreciation from 2014-2016?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you really want to do this, the value for depreciation is whichever is lower: the purchase price OR the fair market value as of the date when you put it in service for business use. The fair market value is what a willing buyer would pay a willing seller for the similar item in similar (used) condition. 

Let's assume the value of a two-year-old printer that originally cost $139 is about $60.   Since your business use is 10%, you would depreciate 10% of the value over the class life, which is five years. So you can depreciate $1.25 per year over five years.

You do not qualify for section 179 accelerated depreciation because the item is not use more than 50% for business. 

You may qualify for the de minimis safe harbor,  which allows you to expense certain items that would normally be depreciated, as long as the value of the expense is less than $2500 and as long as you meet certain other conditions. 

In TurboTax, you would enter that you have a business asset that is placed in service at $60 with a 10% business percentage use. TurboTax should tell you whether you qualify for the de minimis allowance or not,  but that won't come up in the program until after all of your expenses and depreciable assets are entered. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

If you really want to do this, the value for depreciation is whichever is lower: the purchase price OR the fair market value as of the date when you put it in service for business use. The fair market value is what a willing buyer would pay a willing seller for the similar item in similar (used) condition. 

Let's assume the value of a two-year-old printer that originally cost $139 is about $60.   Since your business use is 10%, you would depreciate 10% of the value over the class life, which is five years. So you can depreciate $1.25 per year over five years.

You do not qualify for section 179 accelerated depreciation because the item is not use more than 50% for business. 

You may qualify for the de minimis safe harbor,  which allows you to expense certain items that would normally be depreciated, as long as the value of the expense is less than $2500 and as long as you meet certain other conditions. 

In TurboTax, you would enter that you have a business asset that is placed in service at $60 with a 10% business percentage use. TurboTax should tell you whether you qualify for the de minimis allowance or not,  but that won't come up in the program until after all of your expenses and depreciable assets are entered. 

Thank you !!

Because the item is under $200, it does not need to be depreciated.  Just list the $6 ($60 x 10%) as part of the Startup Expenses.

Is the $200 rule separate from the $2500 de minimis rule?

Yes.  Pretty much any item ("unit of property") under $200 can be expensed without any elections.  See §1.162-3(c)(1)(iv).
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/26/1.162-3">https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/26/1.162-3</a>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies