Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

abattoir5

I paid off a coop mortgage in December of 2017. I received a 1098 for 2018 from the coop w/ mortgage interest and real estate tax. I wasn't aware I paid either in 2018.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieR
Expert Alumni

I paid off a coop mortgage in December of 2017. I received a 1098 for 2018 from the coop w/ mortgage interest and real estate tax. I wasn't aware I paid either in 2018.

If the mortgage company didn't credit a portion of the payoff until January 2018, that may be the reason you received the 1098.  It might be worth checking with them to get clarification.  If you itemize your deductions on your 2018 return, you would be entitled to claim the mortgage interest and taxes if it has been reported correctly.

[Edited 02.09.2019 | 4:36 pm PST]

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JulieR
Expert Alumni

If the mortgage company didn't credit a portion of the payoff until January 2018, that may be the reason you received the 1098.  It might be worth checking with them to get clarification.  If you itemize your deductions on your 2018 return, you would be entitled to claim the mortgage interest and taxes if it has been reported correctly.

[Edited 02.09.2019 | 4:36 pm PST]

JulieR
Expert Alumni

Please see my edited answer.
leyah

but what if i had already paid the loan off and im taking a standard deduction
JulieR
Expert Alumni

Again, you can check with the lender but if you're claiming the standard deduction then you won't really need to worry about it.
leyah

thank you
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies