Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

austeve79
Returning Member

Tax Liability

If I have sufficient solar credit rollover to cover my current year federal tax liability, can I stop having federal tax withholding for this year? My estimated 2024 tax liability is ~$7800 and I have a solar credit rollover of $10,452. So I would like to stop having FITW this year since my rollover covers my liability and all I will get as a refund is the money I had withheld. 2024 money is worth more now vice in 2025.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Tax Liability

Yes, you can do that.  Don't claim exempt on your W-4, but add an adjustment to line 4b.  To correct for the fact that line 4b is based on deductions, rather than credits, divide the credit by your tax rate.  For example, if you are in the 22% bracket and you are expecting a $7000 credit, that would be equivalent to $7000÷22%=$31,800 of extra deductions.  It would be better for you to underestimate the deduction so you still get a refund (but smaller) than to overestimate the deduction and have to pay tax, because that could lead to owing a penalty.  And don't forget to readjust your withholding in January 2025. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies