Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jbstav17
Returning Member

Tax deduction Question

Question - My wife and I are both self employed for different buisnesses. Married filling joint. We both have seperate work events in the same city that are on the same day. If we both travel by car together, can we both individually write off the miles driven for our respective buisnesses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Tax deduction Question

You can't both claim the same mileage. I suggest that one of you claim the mileage and the other not claim any car expense for that day. Do you each have a car that you use for your respective businesses? If so, claim the mileage under the business that has other mileage for whichever car you use for the joint trip. Another option would be to each claim half of the actual mileage, or split it in any way that seems reasonable to you, as long as the mileage that each of you claims adds up to the total.

jbstav17
Returning Member

Tax deduction Question

We have two cars and we both use them as needed, both of which are in my name (not sure if that matters). Got it, so basically we'd either have to choose one of the buisnesses or split the milelage. I figured the answer was something along that line but wanted to make sure!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies