Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stock split - 1099-B Cash in Lieu - Return of capital for fractional shares or cash in lieu -- missing from dropdown option

I have stock in a company that split in 2023.  My 1099-B shows fractional shares as cash in lieu.  

The 'Learn More' link in Turbo Tax includes option:  Return of capital for fractional shares or cash in lieu: In a merger, acquisition, stock split, or another kind of change. 

However this option is not available in the dropdown list to select.   Based on other 1099-B Cash in lieu questions, this has been a long term issue in Turbo Tax going back to 2019, 2021. 

How do I correctly populate this field in Turbo Tax?

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
jtax
Level 10

Stock split - 1099-B Cash in Lieu - Return of capital for fractional shares or cash in lieu -- missing from dropdown option

What I have always done is to treat this as a ordinary sale of a fractional share. Proceeds are obviously the cash you received. Cost basis is your cost basis after the split. I have always just entered that as a sale of .n shares of stock.

So for example

$900 basis in 9 shares ($100/share).

3:2 split means 13.5 new shares. (Basis is 900/13.5=$66.67/new share).

say you get 13 new shares and $150 as cash in lieu for the half share.

Enter in TT a sale of .5 shares of XYZ. Proceeds $150. Basis .5 x $66.67 = $33.33. Gain = $150-33.33=$116.67

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
lis6
Level 2

I am also having this problem and it is not fixed! How you received this investment is a simple question. We shouldn't have to backtrack many many years ago trying to remember where and what original stock it came from. It could be from a split, then from another split and again from another split and so on. So please, fix the drop down menu to include "cash in lieu" and make filing so much easier. A lot of customers are having this same problem. It's shown in the Learn more explanation, but not in the drop down menu. Is it that difficult for the Turbotax team to fix by just adding "cash in lieu" to the drop down menu? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies