turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State credit for taxes paid to other state

Hi,
I had to amend my 2017 and 2018 VA state taxes.  I file for both CO and VA and get credit to VA for paying taxes to CO.  My amendment for 2017 impacted my federal and CO taxes  for 2018.  With the amendment, I will get refunded $11 for Federal and $2 from CO.  I do not plan to amend Federal and CO for 2018 but I have to amend for VA.  I have the following questions - 

1.  Is it OK that I don't do amendment for Federal and CO since the dollar amount are so low?

2.  I get credit for my VA taxes for paying taxes to CO.  When doing my VA amendment, I'm still including the original tax amount I paid to CO and forgot to deduct the $2 I should get refunded had I done a CO amendment.  Since I'm not amending CO and will not be getting the $2 back from CO, is it ok that I stated the original CO tax I paid?  or do I need to correct VA to reflect the $2 refund even if I'm not doing CO amendment?   I have already printed the VA amendment and it's ready to be mailed out tomorrow but if I need to correct my amendment to reflect the new CO tax paid amount that I get credit for in VA (reducing by $2), I will make the change but rather not do it, if what I did is acceptable. 

Thank you
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

any amendment to VA for 2017 or 2018 resulting in a refund or payment of the balance due would not be reported on the Federal return until the year you make the payment or receive the refund. You do not amend the federal for '17 or '18 because the state taxes you paid in those years does not change unless the wrong amount was entered.  It's like overpaying your state taxes in 2017 (you deduct the amount actually paid in that year) and then getting a state refund in 2018.  you report the state refund in 2018 if taxable.

Nothing requires you to file a federal amended return to get an additional refund.  However, the states may notify the IRS about the state filings in which case you could get a notice from the IRS.  Deal with that if you get it. 

an amended return for VA where your claiming CO taxes may require attaching the CO return check the amended return instructions fir VA

you didn't say how much your VA taxes were changing.  

VA Amended for 2017 created $46 that I need to pay back to VA.

That means I have to change 1099G for 2018.

The change to 1099G created refund of $11 for Federal and $2 for CO.

1.  Do I need to file the amendment for Federal for 2018?

2.  Do I need to change taxes to paid to other state by reducing CO payment by $2?  

Thanks

I also forgot to ask...

3.  Do I need to do amendment for CO 2018 since the refund is only $2?

Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies