Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sprinter Van conversion as second home for taxes

We have a Sprinter van that has been converted. I am wondering if this can be considered a second home for taxes. In particular, for Mortgage interest deduction and Solar tax credit.  Based on my reading of:

Publication 936 (2022), Home Mortgage Interest Deduction

Qualified Home

A home includes a house, condominium, cooperative, mobile home, house trailer, boat, or similar property that has sleeping, cooking, and toilet facilities.

Is there any further guidance from the IRS regarding this topic, as far as the "precise definition" of sleeping, cooking, and toilet facilities?

For example, is a cassette toilet (portable toilet) considered "toilet facilities"?

I have read online that facilities need to be "permanently attached" but I dont see that anywhere in the IRS definition.

Thanks for any assistance. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

Based on what the IRS says about the solar credit and the mortgage interest deduction, it seems as though your Sprinter Van conversion is qualified as a second home for taxes.

There does not seem to be any additional information from the IRS about what constitutes a Qualified Home. By definition, the Sprinter Van conversion does seem to qualify as a qualified home as a second home.

"For you to take a home mortgage interest deduction, your debt must be secured by a qualified home. This means your main home or your second home. A home includes a house, condominium, cooperative, mobile home, house trailer, boat, or similar property that has sleeping, cooking, and toilet facilities."

• From the instructions for Form 5695, energy credit

• If you made energy saving improvements to more than one home that you used as a residence during 2022, enter the total of those costs on the applicable line(s) of one Form 5695. For qualified fuel cell property, see Lines 7a and 7b, later.

From IRS Publication 936:

Generally, home mortgage interest is any interest you pay on a loan secured by your home (main home or a second home). The loan may be a mortgage to buy your home, or a second mortgage.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for your helpful response.  My reading of the IRS definition of a "qualified second home" concurs with yours. 

I have found no further details on what specifically constitutes "facilities" which is a very general term.

Has anyone else had experience or thoughts regarding RV or Van conversions as a "qualified second home" for tax purposes?

Thanks again @PattiF!

JosephS1
Expert Alumni

Yes, from what was stated above, it does appear that your Sprinter Van Conversion does qualify as a second home.  The main point of concern seems to be the portable toilet.  Below are 2 links that I believe can assist you should it be questioned as to if it qualifies as a second home.  One is from TurboTax, and the other is from a legal perspective:

RV as a second home per TurboTax

Legal perspective of portable toilet

@cdrunner 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the links @JosephS1  and further confirmation. Superhelpful! In particular, "toilet facilities" legal definition includes both fixed and portable options which answers my question.  Thank you for finding this and I appreciate your time. 

Based on all I can determine, our Sprinter Van Conversion meets all the criteria to qualify as a second home based on the IRS definition as we have "sleeping, cooking, and toilet facilities"  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies