Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Some income, no 1099

I earned some money, during 2023. There is no 1099. If I enter dollar amount earned, how do I know what deductions I can take from this income. Mileage, office in home, expenses for the business. I'm assuming I'll also have to pay self-employment tax, during 2023, and social security (I'm 74 years old).  What could happen if I just decide not to include it on my return?  I know I have to, but when I do this, I want to be sure I have every deduction I can .

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Some income, no 1099

The IRS requires you report all income.

If this is Self-Employment, you will file Schedule C. 

You will claim the income, but also expenses relating to earning that income. 

If you use a space in your home as an office and it is where your business activity is located, (you meet clients there or you do the physical work on-site but do the bookkeeping at home in an area used strictly for this purpose), you can claim a home office using the Simplified Method which is based on square footage. You can also use actual expenses for the home office but that is a little more complicated. TurboTax will walk you through it either way.

There is no list of acceptable expenses. The IRS says they should be "ordinary and necessary" to the business. 

If you bought something to use for the business, such as a computer or vehicle, enter that as an asset. Depending on the cost and percentage of business use, you will deduct depreciation for that item.

If you use TurboTax, you will need to upgrade to "Home and Business".

Another option, if you earned this income doing something that you only do to have fun, and not to make a profit, you would report that as "Hobby Income". 

Hobby income is reported as Other Income (no Schedule C) is still taxed as income, but you don't pay self-Employment Tax (FICA). Additionally, you can't claim the same business expenses. 

Since you're over 65, you won't be eligible for the Earned Income Credit.

Self-Employment is entered under

Wages & Income

Scroll down to self-Employment

Hobby income is entered under

Wages & Income

Less Common Income 

Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C   START

Hobby income and expenses   START

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies