Solved: Sold our house in Decemeber 2018 but the mortgage wasn't paid off until January 2019. Do I file as the house sold in this year or next years taxes?

Sold our house in Decemeber 2018 but the mortgage wasn't paid off until January 2019. Do I file as the house sold in this year or next years taxes?

We sold our house at the end of December 2018 but our mortgage company did not receive their share of the payout until mid January of 2019. The 2018 Form 1098 shows the original remaining mortgage principal still unpaid. Do I file the house sold in this years taxes or wait until next year?

If the sale was final in 2018, include it on your 2018 tax return. Your mortgage outstanding principal does not negate the sale.