Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

travelgrl

Sold my parents home as the executor and I have 1099-S for taxes

I saw in another post where someone had posted this: 

"If the 1099-S had your wife's social security number on it, then she will have to report the transaction on her personal income tax return and then indicate that she received a portion of the proceeds as a nominee. TurboTax does not support reporting a transaction for which a 1099-S is received as a nominee."

I have a 1099-S with my SSN on it as the executor.  Does this mean that I cannot use Turbo Tax to file my taxes?  I've already bought the TurboTax Business 2023 Tax Software, Federal Tax Return  version from Amazon because it looked like how to deal with this type of situation.  Does that mean I cannot use this version to do my taxes?   

Marla

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Sold my parents home as the executor and I have 1099-S for taxes

It depends if you actually received this house as part of an inheritance. If you didn't and your parents are still alive, the sale would be reported on their tax return unless the property was gifted to you at some point and signed over the title to you.

If the property was inherited or gifted to you, here is how to report.

1. Go to Personal
  2. Personal Income
  3. Investment Income
  4. Stocks, Crypto Currency, Mutual Funds .....
  5. Answer yes on the first screen
  6. investment Type is Other
  7. Next mention the broker's name on who issued to 1099S
  8. Next screen asks what type of investment is it.  Put in "Second Home".
  9. How did you receive? Select inheritance.
  10. When did you receive the investment? This is the day you inherited the house. Or if it was gifted, you would indicate it was gifted.
  11. Proceeds are the amount of the sale.
  12. Total Amount paid is the Fair Market Value on the date of death of either your mother or father. if it was gifted, you would need to know how much your parents paid for the property plus the improvements they made throughout the years and report his as the total amount paid.
  13. Continue through until the have reported the sale.

If you handled this transaction for your parents and i f they are still alive, then you would need to report this sale on your parent's return. If this was the case, reach back to us and we will explain how to report this on your parents return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies