Solved: Sold my home in 2017. Does TurboTax handle items noted in IRS pub 523 during regular tax preparations

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sold my home in 2017. Does TurboTax handle items noted in IRS pub 523 during regular tax preparations

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 15

Sold my home in 2017. Does TurboTax handle items noted in IRS pub 523 during regular tax preparations

You will be asked for the cost basis and selling price, and the dates of the sales.  For cost basis, there is a "guide me" routine that will ask about many of the specific items that increase your cost basis, to help remind you of them.  turbotax also handles depreciation recapture if this was a former rental, non qualified use, and the capital gains exclusion.

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Level 15
Level 15

TurboTax handles just about everything related to selling your home. What specific items in Pub. 523 are you concerned about?
Level 15

You will be asked for the cost basis and selling price, and the dates of the sales.  For cost basis, there is a "guide me" routine that will ask about many of the specific items that increase your cost basis, to help remind you of them.  turbotax also handles depreciation recapture if this was a former rental, non qualified use, and the capital gains exclusion.

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings