Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Solar Tax Credit Carry Forward even if Federal Tax is not zeroed out?

hello,

so here is the thing. I had an EV car, a solar system and an EV charging station all in 2022. greedy 😕

When I file them in TT, EV and solar showed up as supposed to, but Charging station appeared as $0, most probably b/c of this AMT limitation.

This Charging station tax credit, however, comes back when I delete either the EV or the solar.

I know that EV tax credit cannot be carried forward, but solar one could. One detail, I still have some federal tax due, it's not zeroed out. 

The question is, can I carry forward solar tax credit even though I'm still paying some federal tax, just not to lose the Charging station tax credit? And if the answer is yes, how I'm gonna do it in TT? (it seems that carry forwards happen automatically only when one zeroes out the federal tax debt with credits)

I'd appreciate any help

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MichaelG81
Expert Alumni

Solar Tax Credit Carry Forward even if Federal Tax is not zeroed out?

Although you may not owe Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT), you must still figure the Tentative Minimum Tax (TMT) to figure your credit. Complete and attach the applicable AMT form or schedule and enter the TMT on line 17 of Form 8911. 

Also, all credits are added up before figuring the EV charger credit on Form 8911. Calculating all credits includes the EV Car Credit (up to $7,500) if you purchased one too. If your credits before claiming the Form 8911, Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit are more than your tax on line 16 of your 1040, then you will lose the credit or it'll show zero. It takes into account additional credits like the CTC or Child Tax Credit (Schedule 8812), Home Energy Credits, Retirement Savings Credits, carry forwards, ‌all added together first. And, if credits are more than your tax (TMT), you will unfortunately lose the credit from Form 8911 EV Charger, it won't‌ carry forward.

See Form 8911, pay attention to Part III on how it's calculated for personal use, if using a desktop ‌version you can get this information from your Forms Mode in Form 8911. Again, if other credits including solar and others add up to more than your tax, you will lose credit forever, according to current guidance. Remember, you received a 7,500 EV credit; this is a dollar for dollar reduction or credit on tax due, alone, not including the Standard Deduction or other possible credits like solar or carry-forwards calculated first as guided by Form 8911.

@ozturkender 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies