Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to claim sale of inherited house 3 months after dads death. Sold for 150000 but received 135820 after commission & closing cost?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How to claim sale of inherited house 3 months after dads death. Sold for 150000 but received 135820 after commission & closing cost?

This would be reported as if it were the sale of an "investment" property.  The sale of investment property is reported as Investment Income (Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other) under Wages & Income in the Federal Taxes section of TurboTax.

Remember that the house received a "step up" in "basis" to the market value (or what it could be sold for) on the date of your father's death.

If you were the only inheritor then the entire transaction is reported on your return.  If you had to divide it with other heirs, each of you will report only your percentage of the sale. 

When you enter the sale of your inherited property, the "Selling Price" is the $150,000.  The "Cost or Other Basis" is the stepped up value I mentioned above, plus the "costs of the sale" - those figures that brought down the amount of cash you received.  TurboTax will walk you through it.  You will not pay tax on the full $150,000, but only if you made a "gain" on the sale of the house.

My sympathy on the loss of your father.

[ edited 2/12/18 | 6:40 PM ]

View solution in original post

6 Replies

This would be reported as if it were the sale of an "investment" property.  The sale of investment property is reported as Investment Income (Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other) under Wages & Income in the Federal Taxes section of TurboTax.

Remember that the house received a "step up" in "basis" to the market value (or what it could be sold for) on the date of your father's death.

If you were the only inheritor then the entire transaction is reported on your return.  If you had to divide it with other heirs, each of you will report only your percentage of the sale. 

When you enter the sale of your inherited property, the "Selling Price" is the $150,000.  The "Cost or Other Basis" is the stepped up value I mentioned above, plus the "costs of the sale" - those figures that brought down the amount of cash you received.  TurboTax will walk you through it.  You will not pay tax on the full $150,000, but only if you made a "gain" on the sale of the house.

My sympathy on the loss of your father.

[ edited 2/12/18 | 6:40 PM ]

@carolina1959 Please see my edited answer above.

so does that mean the difference of 14180 which was closing cost commissions would result in a capital loss

My rough numbers suggested a capital loss.  You will only be able to take it $3,000 at a time, unless you have other taxable long-term gains.  Be sure to track it and make sure it rolls over correctly from year-to-year.

that is what i came up with also, thank you so much for answering this for me

My pleasure!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies