turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

e0066334

Since i have a 1099-SA distribution amt entered should I have included all medical expenses paid including HSA? I only listed non-HSA expenses.

1 Reply

Since i have a 1099-SA distribution amt entered should I have included all medical expenses paid including HSA? I only listed non-HSA expenses.

You have two choices:

1. Enter the original medical bills (all of them) in the Medical Expenses interview, then enter the insurance reimbursements at the end when TurboTax asks (the HSA reimbursements from the 1099-SA are subtracted automatically), or

2. Enter the net medical expenses (i.e., net of insurance reimbursements) and a single entry for the bills covered by the HSA in Medical Expenses, with the description of "bills covered by HSA distributions" and the amount in box 1 on the 1099-SA. You would enter the description and the amount at the end of the Medical Expenses interview as a miscellaneous expense.

Since many taxpayers enter only the net medical expenses (not realizing that the subtraction of the HSA distributions is automatic), #2 is easier for most. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question

Related Content

Manage cookies