Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should Part I of my 8606 be blank but Part II correctly show my ROTH IRA conversion?

In 2020 I took a $125,000 distribution from my IRA. (remember...no RMDs required in 2020). I converted $100,000 to a new ROTH IRA, all done on the same day, same brokerage. My 1099-R for this IRA shows Box 1, $125,000, Box 2, $125,000 and Box 7 has a 7 in it. There is no “Basis” left in my IRAs so all distributions are taxable. I followed the Step-by-Step TT questions, answered that the $100,000 was converted to a ROTH IRA. When I finished entering all my 1099s, etc. I finished by hitting Continue so that the FAIR MARKET VALUE of my IRAs could be entered from my 12/31/2020 statements. I did not enter the ROTH IRA as indicated by TT. The 8606 that has been generated under FORMS has my name and SS# at the top; all of Part 1 is blank; Part II Line 16 is $100,000, Line 17 is -0-, Line 18 is $100,000. Part III is blank. Am I correct that Part I should be blank? (No Basis, no nondeductible contributions.) 

If someone could tell me that this 8606 is correct, why is there a big ️ next to 8606-T along with (Not Done)? IF I do need to fill in Part I, how do I accomplish that? 

Last question. In the Step-by-Step under Deductions and Credits topics how do I get back to Section 9? Somehow I went from Section 9 to a “Congratulations! We’ve covered 11 of11 sections but I never answered questions for 10 and 11. 
🙏🏽THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. I HAVE BEEN STUCK ON THIS PROBLEM SINCE SUNDAY and seem to have lost the nice person who previously helped through a few other sticky problems. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies