Should my w2 12b code w amount: $3499 be different than my HSA amount?When I get to the HSA portion, Turbo Tax has $3700 entered automatically.

My w-2, line 12b, code W has 3499.94 next to it. When I get to the HSA portion of the taxes, Turbo Tax has $3700 automatically entered. Where are they getting this amount? SHouldn't it be $3499.94? I can't change the $3700. Please help explain. 

Yes, the amount on your W-2 in box 12 with a code of W should be the same amount as on the first line (the employer contribution) on the screen entitled "Let's enter your HSA contributions" (see screenshot below). And as you have noticed, you can't edit that number on that screen, only back on the W-2.

The difference might be because you have 2 W-2s, both with the code W in box 12. If you don't have 2 W-2s (or they look correct or maybe there is an invisible W-2), then I encourage you to do the following:

1. make a copy of your W-2(s) (if you don't have the paper copies)

2. delete your W-2(s) (use the garbage can icon next to the W-2(s) on the Income screen. Note that an invisible W-2 would show up on the list, but with no name.

*** Desktop***

3. go to View (at the top), choose Forms, and select the desired form. Note the Delete Form button at the bottom of the screen.

*** Online ***

3. go to Tax Tools (on the left), and navigate to Tools->Delete a form

4. delete form(s) 1099-SA (if one), 8889-T, and 8889-S (if one)

5. go back and re-add your W-2(s), preferably adding them manually

6. go back and redo the entire HSA interview.

***An off-the-wall suggestion***

Is it possible that your W-2 says 3,699.94 instead of 3,499.94? 3,699.94 would round up to 3,700. Just a thought...

*** Desktop***

*** Online ***

***An off-the-wall suggestion***

Figured it out. 90% of my income is on 1 W2. but i did get another w2 which had the additional $200. makes sense now.

Great! Thanks for the reply!