Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

craftit

Should my pension plan administrator's portion of my health insurance premium show up as a "medical Expense deduction" on my federal return?

The TT interview for Public Safety Officer retiree asked "how much the plan administrator" portion was for health insurance premiums... and it was nearly 100%. Just making sure this is showing up correctly on my return.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TeresaM
Expert Alumni

Should my pension plan administrator's portion of my health insurance premium show up as a "medical Expense deduction" on my federal return?

Yes, this screen is in the interview for a Public Safety Officer Form 1099-R

Retired public safety officers may elect to have an amount subtracted from his or her eligible government plan distribution. The total exclusion cannot exceed $3,000. The premium amount is not included in income and is not subject to the early distribution penalty.

So, up to $3000 will be subtracted from the distribution and any amount over that will automatically be transferred into the Medical Expenses section for Schedule A Itemized Deductions

You can review this when you view or print your return before you file on the Form 1099-R as seen in the example below. 

The amount transferred to the Medical Expenses Worksheet will show up on Line 2 d.

If this does not completely solve your question, please let us know more details, so we may better assist you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
craftit

The pension plan paid 99% of the health insurance premiums leaving only 1% of the premium fees for us to pay (deducted from his check). So, that leaves a large amount listed as "medical expenses"... 

Since that amount of money wasn't actually paid by us,  is it correct for that large amount to be listed on that portion of our return as medical expenses?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

The amount paid over the $3,000 allowance would be available for the medical expense itemized deduction.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies