Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sell property as US resident / US non-resident

Hi Tax Expert,

My parents, who are from Vietnam, are planning to come to the US within the next two months to live with me. They will become green card holder, they intend to sell their property in Vietnam and gift all the proceeds to me. I understand that I need to inform the IRS about the gifted money, but I'm uncertain about any potential tax implications:

1. Do my parents need to pay any tax on the sale of their foreign property? They have used this property as their primary residence and have not generated any income from it. As far as I understand, if they have lived in the US for less than 183 days within the past three years, they would be considered non-residents and might not be subject to capital gains tax upon selling the property. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

2. Will I be required to pay any tax on the gift money from my parents?

Thank you for your assistance, and I eagerly await your response.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You are correct in that your parents would not have to pay tax on the gain on sale of their house if they are non-residents, since the income is not sourced in the US. Also, you are correct regarding the 183 day rule, if they do not reside in the US for 183 days during the current year and the previous two years they would be non-residents. You can research this here:  Tax topic 851 - resident/non-resident alien

You do not have to pay any tax on the gift from your parents. You would be required to prepare Form 3520 if the gift was more than $100,000, but there would be no tax due. You can find more here:  Gifts from foreign persons

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You are correct in that your parents would not have to pay tax on the gain on sale of their house if they are non-residents, since the income is not sourced in the US. Also, you are correct regarding the 183 day rule, if they do not reside in the US for 183 days during the current year and the previous two years they would be non-residents. You can research this here:  Tax topic 851 - resident/non-resident alien

You do not have to pay any tax on the gift from your parents. You would be required to prepare Form 3520 if the gift was more than $100,000, but there would be no tax due. You can find more here:  Gifts from foreign persons

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies